Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Where the journey began ....

On January 13, 2009 I had a terrible fall down some stairs and ended up with a trimalleolar fracture of my left ankle.  I was transported by ambulance to a local hospital where x-rays were taken and I found out from the on call Orthopedic Surgeon that I had one of the worst fractures he had seen.  I had surgery with a plate and 10 screws, a couple of months of rehab.  It appeared to be healing and then shortly after the healing  - PAIN!   Within just a few months, the pain only got worse!  Going back to the "on call" guy (who happened to be on staff at a large orthopedic practice) he got very defensive and short with me and told me that (a) he didn't see any reason why I would still be having pain  (b) No, he would NOT give me a Temporary Handicap Placard (because I wasn't handicapped according to him) and (c) he wouldn't give me anything for pain. We had words and he raised his voice to me in the process of defending his position. I left his office in tears. From hereonin I will refer to him as Dr. "Doom". (It's alot better than Dr. "Ass".)  He handed me a large sample box of Tylenol Arthritis.  I went home and threw it in the trash! 

After two more months, I went back to him and could barely walk at all by this time, yet I was still working a full time job.  I insisted on another x-ray or a CT scan....something!  Reluctantly, he said, "Get her x-rayed!" I got the x-ray and he walked into the exam room and said, "I was afraid of that!"  You're healed perfectly and everything is where it's supposed to be (also known as CYA) but you have developed severe traumatic arthritis in the ankle joint.  It is rubbing bone-against-bone and it won't get better.  You will need either an ankle fusion and if that doesn't help.....amputation!  I was in total shock. What????  I thought I was going to faint from his heartless words and cold demeanor. My senses numbed and almost in panic, I left his office and vowed never to return again, no matter what!  I still owe his office money and I will never pay that balance off.  He ignored my pain, he acted like a pompous ass and took away the most important thing a patient can have.  Hope.

Then and there, I decided the next day at work that I was going online and look for anothe Orthopedic Surgeon in Dallas and Baylor Hospital kept coming into my mind.  Baylor Hospital.  Cutting edge.  I felt confident that I would find someone who would surely give me better news. 

Here is the start of the journey.....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan, I'm praying for you and sending positive vibes. As difficult as it may be, please try to keep your spirits high. Your positive attitude will get you through this setback and you'll be off and running in no time. Thank goodness you were in boot when this happened, and not a cast. Keep smiling. Take care.
    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed!