Friday, May 20, 2011

Week Two - First Post-op visit

Dana took me to my first visit with Dr. Royer since surgery two weeks ago.  I had a rough time with the walker just getting from the house - to the car - to his office.  I had to stop about 3 times and catch my breath.  That's what happens when you're in bed with your foot raised for two weeks straight - very weak. More than I had expected.

We were called back and one of his nurses came in and removed the thick hospital (post surgery) dressing and bandage.  There was a lot of dried blood (more than I had thought). Then when she got to the actual foot -oh, what a sight!  Bluish, reddish purple. I had a perfect straight incision in the center of my lower leg down to my foot.  There is also a side incision a few centimeters under my old one where he removed the plate and screws from the original fracture surgery in January '09.   She said that I was going to have a new cast today, and what color did I want?  After much debate and indecision, we chose the hot pink one.

I was wheeled to x-ray where they took two views of my new ankle and back to the room.  In x-ray the technician asked if I could move my ankle toward me a little, and though it was horribly stiff - it ever-so-slightly moved!  Everything in my left foot feels swollen and tight.

When Dr. Royer entered the room, I hugged his neck and smiled and thanked him!  I hadn't done that yet because I was so groggy in the hospital.  He went over everything with Dana and myself, I told him that I was writing this blog and had connected with other people that had TAR's and he was kind enough to take the x-ray pics that are posted today.  He said if I will bring a jump drive next time, he would put all of my x-rays on there!  The STAR (Scandanavian Total Ankle Replacement) system has only been approved by the FDA since November '10.  I am Dr. Royer's 15th patient using the STAR.  Of course, he has done other types of systems, but this is the latest and hopefully the greatest of them all!  Dr. Royer looked at the x-rays and I saw my new STAR ankle on film for the first time!  Beautiful!  He then examined the sutures and his Fellow, Dr. Ding, removed them.

Everyone was surprise whenI wasn't given a hard cast, but a boot. (Every TAR Surgeon does things differently.)   I have to wear it 24/7 and can take it off when I shower.  I will see him in 4 weeks and be re-evaluated.  The mission now is to have the bone start to grow around the prosthesis.  That is essential for this surgery to be a success. I will not be working during the month of June so I continue to elevate my leg and this crucial healing can continue.  This is my last chance for mobility.

I will post photos but not on this page.  Look at the other pages under "Post Surgery photos" and you'll see all you want.  I pray each day for this total ankle replacement to be a complete success.  I appreciate your prayers too!

2 comments:

  1. So glad your post-op appointment went well! Glad to hear that everything is healing just as it's supposed to.

    We miss you, but also glad that you're not rushing back...it's more important to get that ankle healed and moving properly again first. You take care of yourself. We'll take care of things here!

    Love and Hugs! :-)
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a comment yesterday, I guess it didn't publish. So I'll say it again... you go girl! You've made it through the difficult first two weeks, and now the sky is the limit! You are on your way to your new and improved life! By the way, what lovely incisions you have, and x-rays too. Always wishing you the best.
    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed!