Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week Ten and Eleven - Back to Work

Swelling from Standing 


Two weeks ago at week ten, I went back to work.  Dr. Royer has cleared me to work 4 hours each day (in the morning) because my foot swells after I've been on it after 4 hours and it is painful.  I can't complain too much, though, because I'm a lot more active than I've been in months!  I no longer have the foot and leg brace that I wore for almost one year prior to my total ankle replacement which is nice, because the brace made my walking very stiff and it made my foot and leg hot.  In this 100 degree-plus weather in Texas now, I'm so glad that's gone.


I have Physical Therapy twice each week and I started out by doing range of motion exercises but now I am doing resistance band stretching.  Doing those exercises doesn't hurt.  Walking does.  Right now each day is different in measuring pain.  One day - PAIN, the next day - NOT.  One thing is for sure:  the longer I'm standing or walking, my foot WILL swell and then there is pain.  Major pain.  


After work and/or Physical Therapy, I immediately go home and put my foot up on 4 large pillows and put an ice pack on and off for hours.  It is my only relief at the present time.  I take pain pills usually 2 or 3 times a week if I've stood on my foot over 4 hours.  I'm still using a cane but at this point, Dr. Royer or Physical Therapy will advise me when it's safe for me to ditch the cane.


I am finding out each day that recovery from a total ankle replacement is a long process!  This is something that is slow but sure.  Let me emphasize: S-L-O-W.  On the other hand, I am walking to and from my car to the entrance door at work, I can get out and put gas in my car.  I go to the grocery store, push the cart down the aisle and don't have too much difficulty as long as there is minimal swelling in my foot.  If it's swollen, I'elevate and ice.  I can see this routine in my life for several more weeks. (Hopefully no longer.)


More later!  I attached the photos which show the swelling in the ankle area.  This is week eleven.  Next week, it will be 3 months since surgery!  I'm so glad I had it done.  No regrets!


Swollen leg and ankle after 5 hours of being up today

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!