Friday, July 8, 2011

Week Nine - Released to Work!

Today I visited Dr. Royer and he had a big smile on his face when he saw me walking into the exam room.  That was because I was walking with my cane and Valerie, his Physican's Assistant,  noted that I wasn't even limping.  Big improvement!  I give all credit to God, Dr. Royer and my wonderful team of Physical Therapists @ Baylor.  Plus, I've been pushing my recovery all the way since Day One which is why (when looking back on it) I was in the pain at first.  Those 3 weeks of laying in bed still linger in my mind and although I know it was necessary for the new STAR ankle, it made me want to start walking as soon as I could, and as much as I could. 


He has released me to work in the mornings for 4 hours until September when another x-ray is taken and he re-evaluates me.  The x-ray is all knowing.  If there are any cracks or gaps, it will show up.  Dr. Royer studies it closely and so far it is perfect.  I told Dr. Royer today that he has changed my life! I hope he knows just how much.  It's a miracle.


Physical Therapy is still ongoing with range of motion exercises (no resistance yet).  That will come in time as will many other things they have in mind.  My PT assures me that I will be dancing again! Slowly, I'm beginning to see that in the horizon.  


Doing Range of Motion 

One thing that's consistent - the swelling comes pretty quickly when I'm up and walking.  Or sitting.  For nine weeks, I have had that foot elevated and iced for much of the day and that keeps it calm.  Walking and moving is very exhausting on the ankle joint at this early stage of recovery but it's going to learn to accommodate the movement.  All in good time.

I think to come as far as I have in just nine weeks is amazing.  There are times when I look back on the first photos of my foot and then I realize just how far I've come.  I'm moving my foot up and down, turning it side to side and doing circles.  I couldn't do that before my surgery!

More next week when I report how returning to work and getting into somewhat of a normal routine goes.  It's time to move on to a new phase of recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!