Friday, July 1, 2011

Week Eight - The Ins and Outs, Ups and Downs

Physical Therapy all this week!


What a week it's been.  The photo above shows the lobby of the Tom Landry Center at Baylor Rehabilitation Center. This is where the pools are located.  Physical Therapy is upstairs.  Two steps forward and one step back.  That's been the theme of this entire week. My nature is to excel but I tried to do too much of my PT exercises at home and now am paying the piper.  I am getting more flexibility for sure, but the pain is still in the inside area of my ankle, plus increased swelling.  That one area is the first to hurt when I am on my foot too long and/or if it swells.  When it happens (daily, this week) I elevate it high and ice 20 minutes on and 20 off for hours at a time.  Let me put it this way --- our local Sonic knows my daughter and I from the many trips there for bags of ice! 

I am learning how to walk with a cane instead of a walker.  I have no balance.  I am having to re-learn how to walk again "properly".  One of my therapists has to remind me to put my heel down first when I step.  I've walked flat footed for so long that I've forgotten how to perform the rolling motion that is normal in order to walk.  The best part of Physical Therapy is the massage and ice at the end of the exercises.  HEAVEN!

Pool Therapy


In the pool, I am walking forward and backward and side to side.  I am slowly lifting my foot up and down and trying to step on my tiptoes.  I try to stand on one foot and balance.  (I don't have any balance.)  Well, maybe a little on my good foot.  The water is so much better on my joints because there is less impact and weight on them, plus it helps the swelling.

I will be released to return to work with reduced hours very soon.....possibly in one week.  I will work in the mornings because I am in significant pain and swelling after 3-4 hours without elevating and ice-ing my foot in bed.  It may take some time in returning to full time hours.

I am thankful for the progress that I'm making and grateful to Dr. Royer and my Physical Therapists (both of them) in helping me to get my life back to normal.  I feel so blessed to have these caregivers in my life.  I have made so many new friends throughout this journey so far.

Next week - more Physical Therapy and the countdown begins for return to work.


Peaceful Surroundings outside Tom Landry Center


Visit the Tom Landry Center at Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation and you will see patients with a wide range of physical pain and disability.  There are people with fractures that are healing, people recovering from strokes and heart attacks that are partially paralyzed, people with brain injuries learning how to use their hands to eat, their mouths to talk and eventually try to walk.  There are people using wheelchairs, walkers and canes to assist them.  Then there are people walking on their own power to go into this place hoping for healing.  It is very humbling to see so many folks in worse shape than I am.  You can feel God's presence at Landry - inside and out. Everyone is nice, from the valets to the older man who sits inside beside the main elevators.  I think he is a greeter or someone who can assist if you need information.  It is quiet.  The outside is very beautiful and peaceful.  You can sense that miracles happen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!