Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Week Five - Thankful? Yes.

This is definitely a better week.  Maybe because I rolled to the laundry room yesterday and threw some clothes in the washer....or made a new necklace on Sunday ... or being thankful that my daughter is a wonderful caregiver - making sure I have everything I need and going way over and above what she needs to do.  Thankful for the Luv and support of my Coworkers, always cheering me on. Thankful that my granddaughters come in the door with laughter, saying, "Hi Grandma" and heading straight to the puppy to love on him and watch his antics. He will have major Mama-withdrawal when I go back to work. Andy is always here by my side and anxious to lick, snuggle and play.

I can tell you all the titles of movies I have watched in the last month and recount all the "Jail" episodes, "Operation Repo", "Hardcore Pawn", "Cops" and every single day of the Casey Anthony trial.  I feel like a secret juror listening to all the testimony.  I have time to lay here to contemplate what I want for lunch and dinner and what t-shirt and shorts I will wear for the day. Taking a shower is my exercise (as well as refreshing).  After a month's experience, I am also pretty darn good at Angry Birds.

When I'm in a thinking mode, I wonder how I will regain my strength.  Will it happen once I start to walk?  Will I get some of it back in rehab?  When will I stop sleeping for three hours and wake up?  How soon will Jenny Craig help me take the extra weight off?  Now, I'm not the only patient with these questions....a few people in the U.S. who have had the same procedure are wondering the same things.  Given that this surgery is all pretty much uncharted territory and we are the new pioneers, wouldn't you wonder as well?

Am I ungrateful?  NO!  Do other people have it worse than me?  ABSOLUTELY! 

I say this only because a long-time friend who I haven't seen or talked to in a very long time, forwarded me an email.  They didn't write a personal message; however, the content was that of not complaining about our circumstances - lest they be worse.  The email regarded a little boy with no legs, being fitted with prosthetic feet and legs and showing his many accomplishments. The little guy was a go-getter!  It was something you would never, ever wish on any child (or anyone). Again, the message was "Don't complain".  I suppose this friend felt that I was whining too much on the last post and decided to throw cold water on my face, so to speak.  (Point taken.)  Then, there was the lady who told me to read "The Secret" (ask and it shall be given) and the guy who played soccer and hurt his knee and gave his advice on healing.  Whew!

The fact of the matter is ....we are all different and this is my experience.  Just mine.  However, if you have been an independent person, you will be confined to a bed, sofa or recliner and at the mercy of others taking care of you and it's not going to be a trip to Disneyland.  It won't be a living hell, but you will have definite limitations for weeks.  The end result of this surgery and limitations are to give you freedom from the intolerable pain which is all the time both day and night.  Freedom to walk without a brace and to walk without a limp.  Freedom to live a more normal life and resume activities that you have given up long ago because they were too painful.

Next week - Six::  Doctor visit and maybe starting some rehab and bearing a little weight on the new ankle?  We'll see ---- I'm ready!

2 comments:

  1. Hey sexy leg, I'm about six weeks out from STAR TAR and still get very fatiqued. I've been working remotely since 4 days after surgery but with major amounts of breaks and rests. Typically, after getting up, clean, dressed, fed, I am really ready to go back to bed instead of to that meeting! It's hard to do all the simple things but since I'm about 25-50% weight bearing, it's easier than it was. If work wasn't a profitable dysfunctional group, I would probably be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, I found your blog after you commented on mine. Sounds like your progressing nicely! I can totally understand the frustration you are going through, since I am also a very active & independent person and sitting at home relying on everyone else was very hard for me.

    I found that my strength started to come back when I began physical therapy and when I started getting back into my routine with work and daily living. Now I have so much energy I can't keep still!

    Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed!